Friday, January 22, 2021

Day 22: And then we hear the Ave Maria, with its message of the triumph of hope and life over the powers of despair and death.-- Deems Taylor

And then we hear the Ave Maria, with its message of the triumph of hope and life over the powers of despair and death.-- Deems Taylor

This comes to us when Deems introduces the final segment of the program, which is a double song feature of "The Night on Bald Mountain" and "Ave Maria". 

In "The Night on Bald Mountain", Chernabog, the king of all demons, comes to life and lets his scary demon minions run free for the night creating a nightmare for all to see. At first light, there is church bells and the sight of many people going to the sunrise service singing the oft sung "Ave Maria", causing the demons to return to the darkness they came from. 

Have you ever felt like nothing is going right, like nothing will ever get better? Perhaps you've hit rock bottom, like no one or nothing could ever pull you out to the top no matter how much people try to help or that you want to. Feeling like you're in a hole that you'll never get out of is no fun. You take 2 baby steps forward and life seems to knock you back about 5 or 6.  It feels like you'll never get ahead. You feel like you're grasping at straws for any sense of normalcy and things are totally hopeless. A bunch of dark feelings take over your normally rational self. Yet no matter how dark things may get or appear, there's always hope. 

Even when we may not believe it in the moment, especially when our inner demons have such a strong hold of our thoughts, there is always hope and a desire to not be in the dark situation we may be in now. Hope comes from the simplest of things. It could come from seeing a gorgeous sunrise or having a wonderful dream of the future. It could come from a song on the radio or hearing a friend say "Don't give up. You got this!". Hope comes from many places if you'll let it. My personal favorite is finding Hope through Birdsongs. 

In early 2019, I was in a really rough spot in my life, the worst I had been to that point. I knew it would get better, even though I didn't know when or how. I lived about 50 miles from work and my friends. I felt so alone, cut off from everything and everyone, not having many of the modern necessities did not help at all. Those feelings were constant, and always close to the front of my brain. What helped give me hope during that time was a pair of Cardinals, a male and female, who would chirp and sing whenever I would go outside in the yard to blog under a tree. I would always make sure to say hello and thank them for their beautiful song. Sometimes they would be joined by a Blue Jay or a Mockingbird. It may seem trivial to some, down right silly to others, but to me those birds were my lifeline to hope and the drive to keep going. I am thankfully no longer in that situation and in a much better place, but I still turn to the birds and their songs to lift my spirits and listen to their words of wisdom. They might not speak the same language as us, but their tweets, chirps and melodies all have a way of speaking to our hearts if we let them.  

So until next time, always remember that Hope triumphs over all and Keep Cooking with Character! 

No comments:

Post a Comment