Monday, July 18, 2016

D-Luxe Burger: Southern Classic Burger and Fries

I got to try the Southern Classic Burger and fries from D-Luxe Burger, one of the new Disney Springs eateries, on Opening Day. I was with a friend the day that I tried it. I was rather surprised with how we got our food: in a brown bag and everything in their own little cartons. It was a little pricier than I had expected since we had to pay for everything separately, but worth it for how yummy it was! My review continues under the pictures (which do not do the sandwich's taste justice!). Unseen is the traditional regular sized Disney World Coke and Not Your Father's Hard Rootbeer (alchoholic) we had for drinks.
Our Brown Bag Lunch
Southern Classic (no pimento cheese), Classic Cheeseburger (no veggies), small fries and 3 Mustard and Honey Sauce
Closeup of my Southern Classic Burger
 The Southern Classic Burger's signature blend burger patty is surrounded by Fried Green Tomatoes, Lettuce, Bacon and Pimento Cheese (which I had to leave off because of my dairy issues). I fell in love with this burger at first bite. You need both hands to eat it with how big it is! It was a little pinker on the inside than I am used to yet it was cooked to the proper temperature. They warned us our burgers would be pinker though still cooked to temp because of the blend they use. They use a special blend of angus, brisket, chuck and short rib meats. The burger was savory, though a half shade too pink for my taste so I would say it was cooked more medium-rare than medium as stated. You can definitly tell it is beef by its distinctive taste. It was gently spiced so the blended flavors really shine.  It was not too greasy and not too dry, just the right amount of juiciness. The bacon was crispy too. It had a slight smokey flavor to it, though it did get a bit lost with flavors of the burger and fried green tomatoes and the crunch of the lettuce. I think 3 slices of bacon would have been a better balance of flavor than the 2 strips in an X shape they put on the burger.
 I was majorly impressed by the Fried Green Tomatoes. They had just the right amount of crunch and tomato taste. It was not mealy at all inside, like what sometimes happens when you don't make them right. It is really hard to find a place that makes darn good fried green "maters" and this place knocks it out of the ball park. There's just the right amount of fry time, spices, and breading that balances the crisp tomato. I wish they had these as a side dish with how good they are! The lettuce was sliced-to-almost-chopped iceberg. So it gave the burger a little bit more crunch without taking away from the burger, bacon and fried green tomatoes. 
 The 3 Mustard and Honey sauce was really good. It had the right balance of mustard and honey taste. One did not overpower the other like some honey mustard sauces do. It started off with the bite or twang of a mix of yellow and brown mustards and finished with a smooth honey taste on the fries. It was not too spicy yet not too sweet and has a home-made taste to it, which I did not expect. It paired well with the Southern Classic burger, as well as the fries. A sauce win for this foodie! The fries were pretty tasty and salty, and arrived extremely hot, though cooled pretty quickly while we searched for a seat. Typical for a thinner cut fry. They were sliced so the skins stayed on, which is what I like and a change from their normal skinless fries found all over the property. While tasty, I was unimpressed with them and feel they should have been included in the burger price. I was more impressed by the little square box they came in (which was branded with the D-Luxe Burger logo) and the 3 mustard and honey sauce than the overall taste of the plain fries. 

The Southern Classic Burger is $12.99 before tax. The Classic Cheeseburger is $9.99 before tax. The small order of fries is $4.99 before tax.  The regular Coke is $3.29 before tax. The Not-Your-Father's Hard Rootbeer (alcoholic) is $8.25 before tax. The bill for the two burgers, 1 small order of fries, and the 2 drinks was around $43 after tax. 
I hope you enjoyed my review of The Southern Classic Burger and fries.
Keep Cooking with Character!

2 comments:

  1. Love the review. Not being a meat-eater, I would try the Fried Green Tomatoes and maybe the fries. But the review did give me cause to check out whatever else they have on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They also have something called a Cluck Burger which is ground chicken and a Veggie Burger. I have not tried either of them yet!

      Delete