Friday, May 29, 2020

Day 149: Gotta learn to be more assertive. No is no is NO!-- Wilbur

Gotta learn to be more assertive. No is no is NO!-- Wilbur, The Rescuers Down Under

This comes to us when Bernard tries to convince Wilbur to sit on and protect Marahute's eggs. Bernard gives Wilbur a look that causes the bird to try and object. In the end, Wilbur ends up protecting the eggs and he makes this observation.

Have you ever had someone ask you to do something but you really didn't want to do it? Perhaps they asked you to do something you couldn't physically do. Did you tell them yes or no? If you told them no originally, did you cave and tell them yes under pressure or stick to your guns?

As Wilbur found out the hard way he needs to stick to his guns, it's really hard to say no to a friend and stick to it. Sometimes it's easy to say no. Other times it feels down right impossible since people love to please others. Yet it has to be done sometimes. Have you ever felt like "No" or "not now" is impossible to say? They always say the hardest thing to do is not always the easiest one. I myself struggle with when to say no and when not to. I've also had trouble sticking to my guns. I've also lost friends over saying "no", "no more", and just sticking up for myself. It was really hard to deal with at first, then I realized that those friends kept doing things in a pattern after they left and things started to get better after they left. I don't like that I lost some friends I thought I was close with, but I realize that it had to happen for a reason. I recently came across an internet meme that says "I want to see you eat, just not at my table".  It sums up how I feel about things now. Yet I've also said no and I've not lost friends. So I've seen both sides of it and understand it a little more.

So until next time, don't be afraid to stick up for yourself  and as always Keep Cooking with Character!

No comments:

Post a Comment