Sunday, May 17, 2020

Day 137: Why Should I Worry?-- Oliver and Company


"Why Should I Worry?" 
sung by Dodger (Billy Joel)
in Oliver and Company

This song happens just after Dodger meets Oliver and they score some hot dogs from the meanest (yet best) hot dog vendor on the street. All throughout the song Oliver tries to catch Dodger who has the long strand of hot dogs wrapped around his neck. The always street-smart artful Dodger stays one step ahead of the little kitten and teaches him his first lesson that it's a dog-eat-dog world in New York City.

I had a hard time picking between "Why Should I Worry?" and "Streets of Gold" to post for today's DisneySongSaturday. Both are my favorite songs. This one edges out "Streets of Gold" by just a squeak. "Why Should I Worry?" is about not caring what others think and having the ability to use your street-smarts to get what you want. The lyrics are further reinforced by the visuals that occur throughout the song. For example, Oliver does not give up on catching Dodger and Dodger proves he's got street smarts as they race through the busy streets of New York City. I also love the cameos of Pongo, Peg, Jock and Trusty during the song. Were you able to spot the cameos watching the video above?

Have you ever worried about what someone was thinking about you? Have you ever been teased for not being as book smart as your friends or someone else? One of the more harder lessons in life is to learn to let go of what others think and just be who you are inside. It's one that I have to remind myself of. I'm not exactly "book-smart" because I have trouble comprehending what I'm reading, but I do have some "street-smarts". I knew someone who flaunted their GPA knowing I would never get as high as her and acted like my less-than-stellar GPA wasn't worth anything while knowing how much I struggled for that 1.95. Yet through our conversations, I realized that I may not have the book smarts like her or others with higher GPAs but I have more practical skills that you can't learn from a book and have been coming in handy since the COVID-Quarantine started back in March. I'm also no Victoria Secret Angel model. I've got a little bit of fluff to me and it's clear I love food and know my way around the kitchen. That lesson is a bit more harder to overcome and will take the longest time because we live in a society that values looks over smarts. I don't always worry what others think, but sometimes I do. When I hear this song, I tend to forget what others think of me and focus more on what I can do with my "street savoir-faire".

So until next time, don't worry and Keep Cooking with Character!

No comments:

Post a Comment