Thursday, April 4, 2019

Day 86: First you must gain self confidence by striking out on your own.-- Abigail Gabble

First you must gain self confidence by striking out on your own.-- Abigail Gabble, The AristoCats

Abigail Gabble, one of the two geese the cats meet along the way, tells O'Malley this when he asks her for help trying to get to the shore because he cannot swim and was holding onto a branch for dear life after saving little Marie from the raging river.

This is a very deep and good quote and tells us so much in so few words. Abigail was not wrong when she said this. It is always the hardest to get started on anything, especially when you are so unsure of things, whether they will work or not. Yet the more you do something the more confident you become in the new skills you learn, like a second language or being comfortable approaching people.

Believe it or not, I myself have confidence issues. I'm not gonna lie. Sure I can do a lot of diffrent things with everything I've learned over the years, but I still struggle with going up to people, especially ones I admire or even starting something new. All those what ifs pop up in my mind like "What if I say something stupid?", "What if they don't like me?", "What if it won't work out like I have planned or written?", ect.. For example, before I started doing my character interviews, I was so shy coming up to the diffrent Disney Characters because I never know what to say to them or how they will respond. I'm also extremely shy and am really uncomfortable infront of the camera, especially when it comes to getting my picture taken. Yet after getting the nudge from my best closest friend to record my interactions with the Disney Characters and post them to a YouTube channel, I'm finding myself coming out of my shell infront of a camera and I'm enjoying my time with the Disney Characters even more than ever! It's funny how something so simple and random can change your whole perspective of things and give you confidence. Yet if I had never done my first one, I probably never would have started because I didn't have the confidence to start.

Another confidence-builder for me is actually learning another language. Though I took German in high school (and sorry Frau Reed I've forgotten a majority of it, but not the swear words or the Thomas und Claudia videos shown in class hehehe), I'm finding I'm learning Spanish through my current job just by listening to all the Spanish speakers and trying to understand what they are saying. In the last two years, I'm pretty proud that I've learned enough to say some of my colors, parts of numbers up to 39 and how to communicate about various theme-park foods. I know it's not a lot but the more I interact and can help those whose main language is not English, the more confident I become. One of these days I hope to eventually speak a full conversation that does not start with "Un Poquito, learning" when I'm asked if I know Spanish. I'll get there!

What sort of things do you do to boost your own confidence? Did you move out of your parents's house to get out on your own? Perhaps you've done as I have and learned another language or two, maybe even started your own YouTube channel or blog. Whatever you're doing to gain your own self-confidence and if it's giving you that confidence you've been needing, keep it up because I know that you'll get there and it will open so many new doors for you! If you're on the fence and not sure if you should start something or go up to someone because you're scared what will happen, give it a try. You'll never know what you're capable of if you don't strike out on your own and just do it. Speaking of just doing things, Merida gave me some great advice here on the subject. I know you can do whatever you put your mind to! You've got this and you'll become so much more confident than you'll ever know!

So until next time always remember you'll never know what you can do until you try and as always Keep Cooking with Character!

No comments:

Post a Comment