Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Day 125: I don't want to impose.-- Dawson

I don't want to impose.-- Dawson, The Great Mouse Detective

This quote comes to us in the 1986 when Dawson and Olivia Flaversham, the toymaker's daughter, first meet Mrs. Judson, Basil of Baker Street's housekeeper. Mrs. Judson invites them inside to wait for Basil, the detective.

According to the dictionary, to impose on someone means that you're trying to force or sway them to do something they would not ordinarily want to do. It is also a word that's been around since the 1500s. So it's safe to say "I don't want to impose" has been around since then. It is a polite way to get reassurance from someone who is doing something nice, such as when Mrs. Judson let Dawson and little Olivia wait inside out of the rain.
This is one quote that's been used for ages. I'm pretty sure you may have used it once without knowing it. Have you ever said this quote before? I don't hear it used as much any more, but I do hear it once in a blue moon. I've used it myself before, though it's been a while. Don't want to over use the phrase because it may give the wrong impression, which I'm sure is the last thing any one wants to do.
So until next time, Keep Cooking with Character.

No comments:

Post a Comment